Tuesday 6 September 2011

My Loaf, It's 50/50

Homemade Bread

50/50 Honey and Seeded Loaf


When I say my loaf is 50/50 im not just completely talking about my head!! This Homemade Bread is one of the nicest I have made, as plain white bread normally plays havoc with my stomac I altered this recipe to suit my needs... that is the beauty of home cooking you can chop and change recipes to suit yourself.. they are not written in stone! So this bread consists of half white flour and half wholemeal flour. This is one of the first ever 'homemade' things I made... I'm glad I did!





Makes two medium or one large loaf:

225g strong white flour
225g wholemeal flour
275ml lukewarm water
7g sachet of bakers yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
2 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of mixed seeds
3 tablespoons of olive oil
A splash of milk to glaze


Half and half flour

The shaped dough left to proof
After an hour it had risen
Punching out the air
Glazing with milk


Method

  • Pour the strong white flour and the wholemeal flour into a large mixing bowl, add in the yeast and the seeds and give this all a good stir around.
  • Make a well in the centre and pour in the olive oil, honey and the water and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. It should be soft but not sticky.
  • Form the dough into a ball in the bowl then turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 10 mins until smooth. Place the dough into a clean oiled bowl, cover with a damp teatowel and let the dough rise in a warm spot in the kitchen until it has doubled in size.. this normally takes about an hour.
  • When the dough has risen 'punch' the air out of it in the bowl then remove it onto a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly for a minute. Devide the dough in half and shape them however you please (see pictures).
  • Place them onto an oiled baking sheet and cover again with the teatowel until they have almost doubled in size.
  • In the meantime preheat your oven to 200c. When the loaves have almost doubled in size brush a thin layer of milk over them and and bake for about 25 mins until golden in colour. To know if your loaf is cooked through there should be a hallow sound when you tap the underside.
  • Cool them on a wire rack... if you can resist the temptation, although not many can for homemade bread

2 comments:

  1. Love this recipe. I think I'll leave out the seeds. At least with this bread you know exactly what is in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love homemade bread. I lately trying 50/50 flour combination with my favourite no-knead recipe, but bread was falling apart, so I decided to stay with 80/20. But your bread looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...