Sunday 7 August 2011

Roasted Potato and Fennel Slices

Roasted Potato and Fennel Slices

This dish came about one evening recently I was experimenting in the kitchen. We have been steaming our new potatoes religiously recently and I just fancied a change. Dont get me wrong the there is nothing like new freshly dug spuds steamed and eaten with a slab of butter, but after a few weeks of them the taste buds deserved a new taste sensation. So I went out and dug a fresh stalk of spuds and gave them a quick scrub then randomly started culling them into 1cm thick slices. My plan was to put some spices with them and throw in some herbs, but the first jar of spice I put my hand on was fennel seeds. Then I thought why not put some fresh fennel bulbs with them instead (considering I have a fresh supply in my salad bed). The fennel has a beautiful delicate aniseed flavour so i knew it wouldn't over power the humble spud. 50 mins in the oven with a little rapeseed oil and some sea salt and crushed black pepper... fantastic!!



Serves 2:
4 large floury potatoes
2 small or 1 large fennel bulbs
Rapeseed oil
Sea salt & black pepper

Method

  1. Give the potatoes a scrub but leave the skins on, slice them into 1 cm thick slices and add them to an oiled oven dish. Thinly slice the fennel and add to the dish.
  2. Season with salt and black pepper and add a good glug of rapeseed oil and toss well.
  3. Place into a preheated oven at 200c and leave for 50 mins, giving a few tosses in between to stop them catching. They go beautifully with chicken or fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...