Breaded Chicken Salad
I just made this salad today as part of me trying to eat a little more healthy. Our salad bed is producing plenty of fresh rocket, spinach, little gem lettuce and radish so it is as good as an excuse as any to have some lovely, tasty salads.
2 chicken legs skin on
2 slices of fresh (nice) bread
A handful of rocket leaves
A handful of spinach leaves
1 little gem lettuce
Half a pepper diced
1 carrot ribboned
2 spring onions sliced
A few mint leaves shredded
A few shavings of Parmesan
Flour for coating
Half a litre of vegetable oil
Juice of 1 lemon
A tablespoon of creme fraiche
A quarter a clove of garlic
A good pinch of grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Place the chicken legs into a oven proof dish along with the bread cut into cubes and drizzle with a little olive oil season with salt and pepper. The bread will soak up the lovely juices. 45 mins in the oven should see them done.
- For the dressing mash the garlic and anchovies in a mortar and pestle then scrape into a bowl and whisk in the creme fraiche, grated Parmesan, lemon juice and olive oil (about 3 times the amount of lemon juice). Season to taste.
- Wash all the leaves and dry them in a salad spinner and place in a bowl along with the spring onion, mint leaves shredded, diced pepper and ribboned carrot and toss around.
- When the chicken is cooked pull it apart of the bone in strips/chunks. If some of the croutons are not crispy place them back in the oven until they are.
- To make the breaded chicken, pour about an inch depth of vegetable oil into a large saucepan and bring to a shimmering heat. in 3 seperate dishes put flour, whisked egg and breadcrumb. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with ground paprika then coat in the flour, then dip in whisked egg then into the breadcrumbs and into the hot oil (carefully) you could do a few at a time. turn over after a min when golden then remove after another min. Repeat for remaining pieces of chicken.
- Combine the salad, chicken and croutons on a plate or bowl and serve with a few shavings of Parmesan and the dressing to taste.