Thursday 24 March 2011

And so the growing season begins!!

This past few days' raise in tempatures has started turning seeds into seedlings. In the greenhouse our Tomato, Cucumber and Cauliflower trays have started shooting up which really brings a smile to my face.





The Cucumbers didnt come to much last year as the seedlings kept getting burnt in the sun so i'll have to be more wise to it this year.
Outside the greenhouse we have planted the Onion sets, Garlic cloves, Peas and in the salad bed 2 short drills of Little Gem lettuce and the same of Radishes. Radishes are very fast growing salad veg, you  could be harvesting them in about 3 weeks after sowing them so 'little and often' is usually the route to take.


planted garlic cloves




planted onion sets




The strawberry bed is thriving again after the hardy winter, we removed 15 runners (new plants) which are now being given to 'good homes'.

We kept a few of the runners in, its a wee bit cramped but hopefully they all try to out grow each other :)

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! I'm excited to start a garden this spring! Your pictures make me want to start one this Saturday. I didn't think about keeping them in a greenhouse (because I don't have one), but maybe I could start them inside?! I've had a small garden once before. But at the house I'm in now (for the second year), I haven't planted one yet. I don't even know where to put it in the yard, yet. But starting in little boxes on my counter is pretty tempting...

    By the way, Hi. I'm Nichole. I saw your comment on another blog and followed your link. So, here I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nichole thanks for getting in touch... yeah most things can be started in a sunny windowsill its just as good. Gardens can be a wee bit time consuming co start with but so worth it in the end. i will be doing a piece soon on what to grow in containers/window boxes etc... drop in anytime for tips and if you need to know anything dont be afraid to ask, it's how i started by asking question :)

    Paul :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...